Monday 25 April 2011

To B or Not To B...That is the Question

The Malaysian Asean Regional Bloggers' Conference happened on April 21 till the 24th 2011 at the Inter Continental, Kuala Lumpur. I did not want to miss the chance to attend it when I received the invitation from the big man himself, Tuan Syed Akbar Ali, the President of Blog House Malaysia.

I arrived early (evidenced by the number of parking lots still available in the basement) and as every other newbie, my immediate instinct was to look for familiar faces that can give me comfort in my not so familiar surroundings.

I had the nagging feeling that I wouldn't be too successful because the familiar names I knew were among the BHM Main Committee and they were surely crazy busy running the conference. What to do...what to do??? I decided to make my way to the Coffee House of the hotel - I figured it was too early to expect food at the registration area and so best to find my own. As I stood to survey the parameters, my hands scrolled down my handphone list to find Another Brick in The Wall. I located it and started calling. After a good 10  minutes of unsuccessful rings...I thought, but of course, he's busy...no time for you today, Lord!
Fine, now what?? My eyes landed on a pixie-like countenance who was peering from under his cap looking for a breakfast  plate. I smiled in recognition...of course, when in need you turn to another Malaysian...and who better than one who's not afraid or shy of admitting it. And I say this with such pomp and ceremony because believe me, I've had my fill of those who'd rather not even go there. I'm A Malaysian did not disappoint me and we had a quick breakfast sharing the table with a writer/ one-time blogger who hailed from the Lion City. Obviously, he was of some standing as he rattled of his long list of interviews and talks which he had been invited to give in places such as Monte Carlo and the like. His refusal to meet my eyes as he talked however left me somewhat, wondering...and eventually wandering. But my Malaysian Blogger friend sensed my discomfort and immediately turned the awkwardness of the moment into one of casual lightness with his humor. Trust another Malaysian to do that, and with such perfect timing.

I grinned appreciatively as my devout Malaysian (did I tell you that he was also a BHM Committee member??) pointed me to the Registration table, playing host with such incredible brilliance. I felt totally at ease. As he excused himself to return to his assigned task for the morning, I was left to my own devices yet again. I registered (a little disappointed that although my blog name appeared in the attendance list, it did not get printed on my name tag - I collect these things, you see) and moved aside for the next participant to do his thing. Oh well, I guess that'll only happen when I have over 300,000 hits on my blog - the futility of which left me utterly despondent and melancholic...for a good half a minute...after which I was back to my usual self.

I was about to tweet my predicament to the universe when I sensed the warm familiar tail of a St. Bernard swishing at the corner of my eye. Big Dog gambolled into the room carrying confidence in his gait and a glint of boyish mischief in his eyes. He professed nervousness to everyone he meets (me included) refusing the Secretariat's call to have breakfast because, he mumbled gruffly, "I cannot eat anything, I'm going to be speaking". Those who knew him gave a knowing smile and went about their business. Moments later his gentle paws were spooning fragrant nasi lemak on to a wide plate. I for one, was relieved that our emcee designate had overcome the butterflies in his stomach - and heartily tucking into his first meal for the day.

Moving along...

As I scrutinised the day's itinerary and mentally selected the sessions that I thought interesting to be in, my feet were already making their way to the different break out rooms. Crucial, I thought, didn't want to be losing time, figuring out where my sessions would be. A very familiar friendly yet somewhat hurried President, OutSyed the Box called out my name, striding over with his right hand extending a welcome and his left, wringing a speech he had prepared for the 10 o'clock session with the Prime Minister. I had always thought Syed to be composed and had everything together but this morning he seemed a little harrassed. "Datin Sri Rosmah's also coming..." he mumbled as his hands flipped the pages back and forth. "Nothing like a woman to keep a man on the edge of his seat," I thought but flashed him a grin instead. "I gotta go and change," he smiled apologetically to me. "Seems PM is not wearing a jacket, " he shook his head visibly upset with his choice of wardrobe for the morning. "You'll do fine, " I yelled after Syed, attempting to offer comfort. Against the Wind who was seated nearby echoed my sentiments. Syed gave us a helpless look making his way upstairs to change - he was not assured.

Sessions started and I seated myself in the Corporations and Blogging moderated by Big Dog. The panel of speakers included Ms. Izlin from TM, YB Kamalanathan (of Hulu Selangor fame) and a Mr. Ong (an ex-STAR journalist who had found his calling in Indonesia for the last 15 years). Apart from the words of wisdom and cliches that sporadically dotted the discussions (and I'm guessing all the other discussions too), I came away with a couple of takes:

1. The Internet is probably the most democratic creation that has ever come to be in the 21st Century. There is definitely a quantum leap in the dissemination of knowledge and information.

2.  You don't need to be a giant (corporation) to be heard, or seen or known - you can just be another name with a blog...a pied piper with your lone tune commanding millions of followers, taking them away from or leading them to a destination that only you have knowledge of. Knowledge is power - and with power comes great responsibilities. Not everybody has the resilience and the foresight to handle that, trust me.

Your actions are therefore your own responsibility. Isn't that what we tell our young ones? You draw your own parameters because you decide how far you want or dare to go. The Quran and other Holy Books are there to state what is acceptable and what is sacrilegious - but it is you who will or not cross the line. It's that simple. The Almighty gave us a heart, a mind and a conscience - we only need to use it well to do it justice. If what I'm saying is wrong, then there would be no adulterers among PAS members, no blind obsession to save one over many as in PKR, no racists within DAP, and no denial among BN...

The congregation that crowded into the Main Ballroom to hear the Prime Minister's address were bustling with anticipation as Big Dog announced the entrance of YAB Dato Sri Najib, the Prime Minister accompanied by Tun Mahathir, the newly crowned Patron of Blog House Malaysia. Syed Akbar led the way with his welcome speech, faltering just a little at first (well gotta admit, the presence of such great men can be a little daunting!) but it wasn't long before he found his footing and by the end of it did Blog House Malaysia proud.

When it was time for Che Det to take the rostrum, the audience were all revved up and ready to go. His opening line was a surefire as he smirked, "Just because I am made the Patron of BHM, that won't stop me from saying what I have to say about it," and the crowd roared. As expected, Che Det the quintessential orator had obviously not lost his touch and he had the crowd eating from his hands even in that short time that he had the mike. He ended with just as much vigor as he made very clear that he hoped to be continually associated with responsible people i.e. bloggers who are mindful of their loyalty to their country and are earnest in seeing that it be administered better for the good of everyone. "Although the ability to state and what is in our mind and be heard is exhilarating, we need to treat government and people fairly in our blogs, " he concluded. 

Prime Minister, Dato Sri Najib, began by congratulating Blog House Malaysia on their success in organising the conference bidding a warm welcome to bloggers locally and within the region from neighbouring countries of Indonesia, Singapore, Brunei, Thailand, the Philippines, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar. Though he admitted that "open democracy and online media (in other words Digital Democracy) have made it more difficult to win elections" PM Najib's commitment not to censor the Internet during his watch rendered him fearless and this went down very well with the community of bloggers that were present. The truth of the matter is one is more certain of winning a battle if he faces up to the realities of it - and the Internet is a reality that needs to be embraced. Ignoring it is only attributing to one's own demise!

The tagline of the conference "Blogging Mindfully and Responsibly" was significant in getting everybody thinking - at least the mindful and responsible ones. I don't doubt that there are still a great many who are bent on thinking that the end justifies the means - what they may not have the foresight to see is, it could very well be their own end that they are approaching. The Blog House Malaysia's  KL Declaration at the conference was Malaysia's way of saying that they know this is the way forward.

Borrowing the eternal words of Shakespeare, "To B...or not to B...that is the "ultimate" question.."

This is Lord of the Rings signing off, it's been a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment